ECTEG course - Dark web and virtual currencies basic
Title: Dark web and virtual currencies basic
Duration: 4 days
This course was originally developed under Europol EMPACT activities following ECTEG standards to become an ECTEG deliverable module.
The aim of this course is to provide to students without any IT specialisation a general overview, combined with practical exercises on how all types of criminals may use the Internet to facilitate crime.
- How is internet working
- Dark web, Dark markets and TOR network
- Virtual currencies (BitCoin)
By the end of this course the students will be able to:
- Explain how internet is working and bypass DNS based websites blocking
- Use TOR browser to get access to dark markets and gather information on vendors
- Explain in their own words how virtual currencies how to seize virtual currencies
The following pre-requisites have been set for this course:
- this course is tailored for non IT specialised police officers
- a basic "home usage" knowledge of an operation system and an internet browser is advised
It is essential that students have a good working knowledge of the English language as the lessons will be delivered in English.
Small list of agenda / topics / main points
- IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
- HTTP protocol
- MS Windows network settings manual tuning
- Dual keys encryption basics and PGP
- TOR network and use of TOR browser
- Dark web and Dark markets
- Blockchains and Bitcoin virtual currencies
- Practical exerises
- ../.. undisclosed topics
If you are interested in applying for these courses please take a look at the application page
for more information.